[mythtv-users] Fedora firewall problems(?)

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 07:55:34 UTC 2008

> I've got a new installation of Fedora 9. The problem is I can't connect to
> it for most services. For some reason ssh works, but I'm trying to use it as
> a mythtv backend, and it won't allow either a mysql connection or a
> mythbackend connection. Also the apache web server appears to be blocked (no
> route to host when doing "telnet 192.168.1.39 80").

On FC8 (so probably FC9 as well) the webserver rejects clients that
use the servers IP address rather than its hostname.  (There's
probably a technical term for this.)

Try adding

192.168.1.39  your_myth_backend's_hostname

to your /etc/hosts file on the client and then using the hostname

I've no idea whether this will fix your mysql or mythtv problems though.