[mythtv-users] [SLIGHTLY-OT] LDAP vs NIS vs NFS

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Fri Jul 4 02:12:12 UTC 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:
> I'm always having to make sure the uid and gid's are the same for NFS
> on all my boxes and it's a pain everytime I add a box. I read
> somewhere that NIS would be a better way to go, that I wouldn't have
> to worry about that. Anyone using NIS? Is LDAP a better way to go. I
> see it's much more secure, but from my investigations it sure looks
> tough installing.

I use LDAP at work and at home.  I have used NIS in the past - as others
have said, if you're not already doing NIS, don't bother.  LDAP is "the
way of the future" (ooh!)

I just wanted to point you at a very helpful set of tools for getting
started with LDAP.  Check out smbldap-tools...it makes it very easy to
set up a basic LDAP tree for Linux and Samba authentication, and
provides you with easy scripts to manage users & groups.

Project Page:
https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/

Documentation:
http://www.iallanis.info/smbldap-tools/docs/smbldap-tools/

SAMBA LDAP howto (also includes Linux auth for ssh, login, etc):
http://www.iallanis.info/smbldap-tools/docs/samba-ldap-howto/

To increase availability, you can replicate it across more than one
machine.  At work, I do, but at home - meh.  Back your ldap database up
frequently (see the slapcat command), anyways.

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan