[mythtv-users] Software encoders question

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jul 3 23:39:46 UTC 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Harry Devine wrote:

> I'd like to know what the difference is between the Default, LiveTV,
> High Quality, and Low Quality software decoders is in Myth 0.21 (under
> Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Recording Profiles->Software
> Encoders (v4l based).  I recorded the minisode of "Rescue Me" the
> other
> night on FX and when I try to play it back, it looks like crap.  I
> don't
> know how else to explain it except that the video is extremely jumpy
> and
> choppy, and the audio is very staticy.
>
> Any recording that I make using the analog portion of my pcHD5500 card
> does this.  FWIW, I use the Default profile for everything.  And all
> of
> the recordings that I make using the Digital (DVB) portion of that
> card
> or my Firewire capture playback fine.
>
> Any ideas on what I can look at to figure out how to clean this up?

Try recording outside of Myth and see what your video looks like. If
that looks like crap, you know you don't need to look at any Myth
settings to fix it. At that point it would be something in the driver.
a simple cat /dev/video > tempfile would work. Play it back with
mplayer and see your results.

If that looks ok, modify your default settings (since that's what you
said you use to record) and kick up the bitrates until you see
acceptable results.