[mythtv-users] Can't get Mythbuntu -fixes to update

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Jul 3 23:28:06 UTC 2008

Howdy all,

I've searched, experimented, and asked on various mythbuntu outlets
and have come up blank, so I'm hoping that one of you all can help.

The long and the short of it is that my version number isn't what I
expect. I supposedly installed 0.21.0+fixes17145-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu2,
but mythbackend --version shows MythTV Version: 16838 and Library API:
0.21.20080304-1

More detail:

AFTER upgrading from 7.10/0.20.2 to 8.04, I added mythbuntu 0.21-fixes
to apt sources. The following occurs:

* Did an update. A few random items updated, but connection to
mythbuntu's update site wouldn't work
* A few days later, saw that mythbuntu update was working.  Clicked
and found that 0.21.0+fixes17145-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu2 was available.
* Clicked install while mythbackend was recording a show. Watched
closely and saw that it shut mythbackend down as I had hoped it would
* Problem: 0.21.0+fixes17145 installed correctly as far as I could
tell. Well, except that mythbackend doesn't show it:
$ mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version : 16838
MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40

Additional piece of info I later discovered:

$ dpkg -l mythbuntu-desktop
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
||/ Name Version Description
+++-================-================-================================================
pn mythbuntu-deskto <none> (no description available)
$

I reinstalled mythbuntu-desktop thinking that might be the problem,
and then updated to the next -fixes (17392), but --version still shows
the original (16838) version. number.

~$ dpkg -l mythtv-backend
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
||/ Name                  Version               Description
ii  mythtv-backend        0.21.0+fixes17392-0ub A personal video
recorder application (server)

I'm the type that tries really hard to figure out stuff myself
(because I typically learn lots of other things along the way), but
I'm coming up blank here, so I'm hoping one of you all can help.

Thank you,

   Marc