[mythtv-users] hauppauge hvr-1800 very low volume

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:09:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Alen Edwards
<allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> Fred Squires wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM,  <genius9976 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I initially set up this box just with a hauppauge pvr-500 (analog), and got
> everything set up. I added a Hauppauge hvr-1800 and the digital tuner seems
> to be working fine, except the audio on the recordings is VERY quiet. I
> opened some files recorded off the analog and digital tuners in VLC and
> Mplayer and the differences are persistent across playback programs (though
> myth playback is similar to the other programs' volumes under 20%, even with
> the volume maxed out in myth... combining these two things, getting loud
> enough audio watching my digital recordings is difficult). The problem
> exists with liveTV and after recordings have been transcoded with the audio
> transcoded to mp3. The difference is also apparent when playing the files of
> the recordings from my windows laptop. Any ideas on how to fix this
> disparity? I haven't found anything googling (probably since it is a new
> card). Is there maybe some way to turn up the volume in the drivers for the
> card?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Scott
>

> >From what I've heard, and i'm no audio expert, the problem comes from
> the way the stations are compressing the audio before sending out the
> signal.  By compressing the audio into a smaller volume range they can
> reduce the bandwidth required to send out the signal, but this seems
> to result in lower volume at least on equipment that doesn't
> compensate for it.  This also happens to me on my HDHomerun, and I
> don't know how to fix it.
>

> Again, imho it is the digital that is correct.  It there is any compression
> going on to save bandwidth, it is in the analog signals.  The digital tuners
> are passive in that they don't decode-process-encode the audio.  They just
> pass it through.
>
> Is there a way to turn down the analog tuners audio?  That would make them
> the same.  Remember that joke about the guy who was blind in one eye and
> asked God to make both his eyes the same?
>
> Allen

The problem is that Scott is saying that the audio on the Digital
stations is too soft even after turning his TV up all the way.
Also I think the TV Stations are compressing the audio before it's
being sent out to save space for the video and other subchannels,
which could be what's causing the problem.  This would be compression
that would only be on a digital broadcast not on analog.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.