[mythtv-users] Help NEEDED !

Gino Heusdens gino at heusdens-ulenaers.be
Thu Jul 3 05:46:35 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Gino Heusdens wrote:
>

>> I'm not using Mythbunu, never used or tried it. I'm using debian
>> etch and I can say that installing and configuring mythtv frustrates
>> me every time. Most of the time my frustration lies in the drivers
>> for the tv cards. You need to supply manually the correct firmware
>> and driver(options cardnumber, tuner, ...). Wouldn't be nicer
>> everything is in place when you installed the driver, or the driver
>> configured itself with the best default options so the card works at
>> least.
>> I think I spend more than 40 hours to get everything working the way
>> I want it. Especially on the frontend where the remote control comes
>> in place. I think all the configuration can be done a lot faster if
>> there is an optimal configuration by default.
>>

> Maybe you should try Mythbunu.

For me that's not an option because the backend runs on my home server.
This server is used and configured for several other tasks and has enough
storage and power to record tv. The frontend box is wireless connected to
the server and has no room for tv cards (small case). I tried to reinstall
my server with xen, but there where problems with loading the drivers for
my tv card in the virtual box (kernel crashed). Loading drivers for my
raid card was no problem in the vitual enviroment. So i returned back to
the old way, 1 real debian etch installation for everything.