[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:25:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2008 10:31 am, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>
>> A steady growth from the second sample on.
>> Is the a leak?
>> Is this normal?
>> Can this be explained?
>
> It looks like a leak to me. The problem, however, is that most Myth
> users do not experience a leak. Therefore, something about your system
> is different from ours. In particular, it is different from the systems
> that the developers use.
>
> That's why the next step is to try to associate the leak with some other
> behavior of the backend, e.g., recording, playback, plug-ins, etc.
>
> Also, what distribution are you using? What version of Qt? Mysql client?
>
>> Why did the backend crash in the qt lib?
>> (doesn't qt do somethign with the gui? No gui has been active for the
>> backend...)
>
> I can't say why it crashed, but Qt is more than just a GUI library. It
> has basic utilities, threads, networking, and more.
> --
> Ray Lischner

IIRC Udo was using his backend to record a number of channels
continuously, like every programme! That seems to be the only
difference in his system identified to date.

So its an "edge" case, but edge cases have a way of throwing up errors
that "normal" use may not throw up. Errors that ideally should still
be fixed, but that may have a lower priority to errors that affect
many more users (resources being finite and all that).

But steady growth in memory use doesn't necessarily imply a leak,
mightn't it be that there is simply a lot of buffers used, which will
get thrown away eventually. The process still only seems to have a
%MEM of 19.9 on the last reading.