[mythtv-users] A General Directions Question

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Wed Jul 2 20:29:04 UTC 2008

the main hurdle here is how to get the signals into a mythtv box.
when I had comcast their STB had a live firewire output on all
the channels even the 5C ones.  if this is true in your area
then the question is how many separate firewire inputs can mythtv handle.
directv has no such firewire but there is the HDPVR from hauppauge
which I have and love. it doesnt do "live tv" though. it only
records.

so I should I guess say this assumes you dont want just the old
standard def tv signal which you can record from any composite
input on a tv tuner.

so if you really want to stream multiple live tv signals around
the house then comcast and the hope that they keep the firewire
port alive and well for a while.

personally I have a couple of atsc tv tuners for HD locals
and the hdpvr for recording off directv. hoping to get another
one so I can record 2 shows at once from directv. I also have 2
STBs. I also never really care to do live tv unless there
is a sharks hockey game on.