[mythtv-users] Status Update on SageTV HD Extender STX-HD100?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Jul 1 18:22:14 UTC 2008

jedi [jedi at mishnet.org] wrote:

>     Given that it's a "generic" device, it will probably also be
> a lot easier to get it to play nice with MythTV. Even if one were
> to get MythTV running on the Sage extender you still have the
> problem of supporting the h264 hardware acceleration.
>     Either unit as a generic non-MythTV device is going to be missing
> features since they aren't running Myth (no autoskip).
>
>     Is there any way to enable 3rd party devices to support autoskip
> in some transparent way (like skipping commercials while streaming)?

I recently switched from MythTV to SageTV specifically because of
the SageTV HD100 extender.  Here are my experiences:

1) It is trivial to get a SageTV HD100 to co-exist with mythtv: Purchase
the SageTV server software, and setup some scripts to export the
MythTV recording into the SageTV "videos" directory.

2) You can enable commercial skipping via the SageTV comskip extension.
There may be a way to export the MythTV commercial flagging
information into an edl cutlist that the SageTV comskip extension can
read.  I don't know.  I just re-flagged my existing recordings using
the SageTV method of running the Windows comskip.exe under Wine.
Surprisingly, this ran at twice the speed as mythcommflag, and was
much more accurate.

After using SageTV to view MythTV recordings, I finally decided to go
exclusively SageTV so that I could schedule recordings via the
extender.  As soon as somebody gets MythTV running on the Sage
Extender, I'll be happy to come back :)

Drew