[mythtv-users] Antenna attenuator question

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jul 1 15:27:49 UTC 2008

> I'll have to try the jury-rigged attenuator you suggested, but I'll need
> to get the resistors.  It would be nice if a local store carried the $2
> fixed-dB attenuators.  I bet Radio Shack (only local electronics store)
> will probably charge $5 for a terminator resistor.
>
> J.S.

Radio Shack sells them 5 for $1.  They have 330 ohms.  You can take a
330 ohm and a 3300 ohm and put them in parallel and get 300 ohms.  But
the 330 may be just what you need.  You may also try using a paper clip
into the 75 ohm center pin and squeeze it with your fingers also
touching the case.  The tighter you squeeze, the more loss you will
introduce.

On the far away station, do try aiming your antenna. That can help both
multipath and signal strength as you orient toward the station or away
from the reflected path.  I would think you would have to be aiming at
the side of a big building or mountain to get multipath so not sure what
is going on with that one.  It takes a lot of multipath to mess these
things up.

Good luck.

Allen