[mythtv-users] mythmusic iec958 help

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:37:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Alen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
> > I don't think he wants alsa to do anything.   He has passthrough checked.
> > alsa should not be doing anything except passing the data to the output.
> > Something is telling alsa to process the data and the data rates then
> become
> > a problem.  At least, that is my understanding of it.
>
> Well passing a 44.1kHz stream through to a decoder that wants a 48kHz
> stream is not going to work AFAIK.

I doubt any modern decoder would fail to support both 48kHz and 44.1kHz,
however I do know that some sound cards can only generate one rate or the
other. That is why resampling via ALSA may be necessary.

Unless I am misunderstanding how "passthrough" works.

Passthrough means "if this signal is AC3 or DTS, don't decode, just
retransmit the original signal", but I believe the soundcard still needs to
be able to send the signal at the right rate.

Cheers,
Steve