[mythtv-users] Manipulating Recordings.

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:26:32 UTC 2008

2008/7/1 Ray Whiteman <ray.whiteman at consultant.com>:
> steve.goodey at bt.com wrote:
>>
>> I have an episode of a series split over 2 recordings, DVDB-T, which I
>> want to archive to DVD. If I was to join the two files and then rename
>> the joined file with the first's file name would MythTV notice the
>> difference? Would it then allow me to edit the joined recording so
>> restoring the episode as 25 mins from 50 mins? The reason for trying
>> to do it all in Mythtv is to allow archiving to DVD to match others in
>> the series.
>>
>> Thinking about this I can't believe I'm being so naive, nothing on
>> PCs/Mythtv can be this easy, but I thought I'd ask!
>>
>> Running Mythbuntu 8.04, Myth version: 0.21
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.
>>
>> Steve Goodey

> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=yVI&q=linux+mpg+file+joiner&btnG=Search&meta=
>
> Returned http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=435 as the first hit.
> Looks like it might be a good start. Good luck.

you can join mpg files with "cat". just run:
$ cat movie-1.mpg movie-2.mpg > movie.mpg

use "avimerge" from "transcode" package for joining avi files:
$ avimerge -i movie.-1.avi movie-2.avi  -o movie.avi

but I have no idea whether mythtv will recognize that your new file is
much longer etc. But I think you should be able to do everything you
like with it (cut commercials, transcode..)