[mythtv-users] Antenna attenuator question

Daniel cbdd at fullnet.com
Tue Jul 1 03:21:25 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 13:55:51 Alen Edwards wrote:
> > I may try the re-aiming
> > approach after all.  I am beginning to think I have some multi-path
> > problems now that the antenna is on the roof, and that is what is giving
> > me the problems with NBC.
>
> I would not think that the problem because you said that when you
> unplugged the power supply for the amplifier the signal was OK.  The
> amplifier is not going to make the multipath worse.
>
> If you happen to have some extra splitters around, you can use them as
> attenuators.   They will drop about 3.5dB each for a 2-way splitter.  If
> might be worth putting one in and seeing if it changes at all.

Just make sure that any unused outputs are terminated in 75 ohms, otherwise
the response curve will resemble the Alps, and it might even increase the
level on some channels.

But I still say the best solution is not a broadband attenuator in this
case,
you want to drop only the high-level channel. In markets where this is a
problem local TV shops often carry such units, often pre-tuned to the
local "problem channel".

beww

If you switch to digital broadcast (HDTV) you will not have multi-path
problems......there is no such thing as multi path interference with digital
broadcast......I have three antennas on my tower pointed in three different
direction, amp on each one combined in my basement......