[mythtv-users] Transcoding basics

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jul 1 03:10:11 UTC 2008

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> I am trying to get started with transcoding.  I have read all the wikis
>> I can find and looked back at all the postings this year.  I have also
>> Googled the subject.  The instructions were helpful in that they allowed
>> me to actually have a job run.
>>

> Did you see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials#Transcoding_Recordings
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had read that.  As thin as it is, it is
almost the only thing out there.

It says that you can use RTJpeg or MPEG-4.  It gives no guidance as to
which to use.  I have since tried MPEG-4 and the default settings and
instead of the file getting almost twice as large like it did on RTJpeg,
which seems to be the dafault, it got half as large.  Much better.

I would still like something that explains the settings and gives some
guidance as to what to do for what result.

Allen