[mythtv-users] HD thin client?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 31 03:05:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:22:07PM -0500, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
> >This is a bit cheaper, $700 with the T5500:
> >
> >http://www.cappuccinopc.com/pandora-945-vdr.asp
> >
> >and seems to have the same capabilities.
> >The question is how it will do with HD content.

The base system for the Monolith machines seems to be
promising. I would have been tempted to get one for
myself instead of the mini but I've got some peculiar
requirements in terms of dimensions.

It's around the same price as the mini but can mount
standard size drives and you can upgrade it to core
duos that aren't available in the minis yet.

The wireless and IR controller on the mini are dubious features.

If the IR controller were more general purpose, that would be
cool. I really can't dig Steve's vision of what a remote control
should look like.

> Another ITX varient, the back panel always gives them away. With at
> least a 1.6GHz Core2 Duo, it can do HD content. Still costs more than
> a $599 MacMini which also has 802.11b/g/n, IR controller and
> bluetooth standard.
[deletia]

I would not mind getting rid of the USB tail for my remote...