[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - AMD CPU Efficiency Compared - Tom's Hardware

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 19:22:37 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 2:03 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> you should expect a higher percentage gain from Intel, since they went from
> being the less efficient, slower processor to the more efficient, faster
> processor.  Intel simply had more wrong with their old design than AMD.

I would like to add that AMD has not executed well with their K10 line
which is currently only quad core chips. One reason for this is that
they made their quads have all 4 cores on one die instead of 2 dual
cores on a single chip and in the process they completely redesigned
and extended the cache architecture to add a L3 cache. Making 4 cores
on a die this way is significantly harder than making dual core chips
that both companies know very well how to build and connecting these
together inside the chip package. On top of that they bought ATI and
took on a huge debt in the process. And finally they are in the
process of converting one of their 2 fabs from the 90nm process (which
has shut down) to 45nm.