[mythtv-users] New F/E - use same OS?

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Wed Jan 30 00:50:27 UTC 2008

I have been trialling  Mythtv on my main system, and am ready to setup a new
box to go into the lounge room with the TV (for use by all).

This box will be  a dedicated MythTV centre combined  F/E B/E with the
existing main system becoming the master backend, this will give me a total
of 4 Digital tuner cards.

When i ventured into Linux  a few years ago I installed SuSE and have stayed
with that distro, and now run OpenSuSE v 10.3, and have mythtv v. 0-20.2.11
as supplied from the packman site (I haven't ventured as far as SVN versions
yet).

If I wanted to trial another distro, say Ubuntu or maybe  Mythbuntu would it
be feasible to do that on the new Myth box I  am now assembling? Or would
that cause issues between the two boxes,  considering that opensuse is
running on the master B/E ?  I certainly couldn't afford to have issues which
might impact other viewers.

John