[mythtv-users] Moving storage groups

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 29 20:06:12 UTC 2008

On 01/29/2008 02:51 PM, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 2:45 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i am running Myth SVN (atrpms-bleeding packages).  I want to change the
>> directory of my storage groups.  What do i need to do?  Obviously change the
>> mount point in fstab but in myth and i just change the location of the
>> storage group and viola or do i need to alter something else in the DB.
>>
>> Just thought i would ask before making changes.  Dont want to loose all my
>> recordings.
> The general process for me, and I don't quite know if this is the
> recommended process, is:
>
> 1) Turn off backends
> 2) Make a backup of the DB (I don't think it's necessary, but it's
> pretty much generally a good first step)

Yep.  Always a good start.

> 3) Change your mounting options operating system wise
> 4) run mythsetup and change the storage groups
> 5) Restart mythbackend

Perfect.  Though there are other ways this is the preferred approach.
As always, you /should/ stop the backend before running mythtv-setup,
even if you don't /have/ to.

> My understanding is that this is a hair slower, technically, than
> adjusting the DB to explicitly tell it you moved the files,

If the storage group has the same name as before, there's nothing to
change in the database (other than the directory location in the storage
group, which you changed through mythtv-setup).  Therefore, it's not
slower (nor is there any faster/more efficient/better performing approach).

>  but
> completely "safe" since the backend will check all your storage groups
> looking for the file if it doesn't find it where it expects to.

That's true, but would only apply if the user were to move a file from a
directory in one storage group to a directory in another storage group
(and that's not in the first storage group).

Mike