[mythtv-users] AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:57:11 UTC 2008

> frequency scaling and has lower power consumption.
>
> I dunno. I've never had much luck with frequency scaling.
> My guess is that this is the sort of idea (much like
> micropartitioning & virtualization) that doesn't play well
> with constant intensive usage.

I have been using frequency scaling on my dual processor Opterons with
mythtv for around 2 years and it works very well. My recently upgraded
dual processor dual core 2.6GHz (4 cores total) system with 5 hard
drives and 2 tuners runs at about 1/2 the power at 1GHz as it does
when at 2.6GHz where it consumes nearly 300W under full load.

John