[mythtv-users] AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:58:30 UTC 2008

> I have the option of replacing that with a P4 3.0 GHz on an Asus P4C800-E
> motherboard and a AGP 8x nVidia 6200 video card. Things like the tuners would
> be moved from one motherboard to the other (and would allow me to drop in an
> Adaptec VideoOh! tuner card in addition to the above). Benchmarks seem to
> suggest that the P4 3.0 GHz will typically out perform the AMD by a modest
> margin (due to higher clock speed).

It really depends on what you are benchmarking. The 3GHz P4 will be
good at things that use sse but loose in pretty much every other
benchmark. Although it has a higher clock speed it does significantly
less per clock as the Athlons and now even less Core2.

Also it will consume significantly more power than either the Athlon
or the Core2 and thus it run hotter and produce more heat.

John