[mythtv-users] The final nail in the RIAA - the curveaccelerates AGAIN

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 28 15:37:01 UTC 2008

Brian Phillips wrote:
> Steve Smith wrote:
>> Yes but is the DRM restricting you to particular
>> devices (not nice) or just checking how many times
>> the song has been played (necessary to support
>> their revenue model)?
>
> The question I have as well as the one above, is whether or not Apple will
> allow these songs on the iPod.  The startup says yes, come April, these
> tracks will be playable on the iPod, but in their quote I see startup
> pandering for cash and hype.  I don't see why Apple would effectively kill
> iTunes music store by allowing free songs to be played on the iPod (they
> still have their video distribution and podcast markets).
>
> If QTRAX tries to hack their way onto the iPod, then expect a firmware
> update from Apple that will stop QTRAX tunes from playing.  We then will see
> the same old back-and-forth bickering and lawsuits until one of the
> companies gives up.
>
> The above scenario assumes Apple does not want these songs on the iPod.  In
> which case, I expect QTRAX to be relegated to the non-iTunes group of music
> distribution methods, and not a proverbial Moses leading us out of the
> desert of RIAA stupidity.

It may just be the old undercut prices (in this case to zero) to
eliminate your competition then stick it to everybody once you have a
monopoly (again).

The traditional allies of the RIAA, the big box music chains, are not
too happy that Apple is now the number 3 music vendor, and the RIAA
would much rather go back to the higher margins they enjoy from
traditional vendors.

Certainly the RIAA has a LONG way to go to gain any trust from me. Are
we to believe they are simply going to lay off all those lawyers?

IMHO anybody who would put that software on their machine is nuts.

beww