[mythtv-users] Is setting dvb_shutdown_timeout to 0 unsafe?

Sridharan Balasubramanian bsridaran at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 01:20:37 UTC 2008

Hello, I'm using KWorld ATSC 115. I've got both digital ATSC and analog NTSC to work successfully. However, I had trouble switching between ATSC to NTSC and the channel not tuning without switching to another analog station and then back. Almost as if the dvb dev isn't releasing the tuner. After setting dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0 in in one of my files inside /etc/modprobe.d, this problem has gone away! My question is this: Is it okay to set this option? I believe setting this option turns off the power management feature when the DVB card is not in use. So will this harm my card or will this produce excessive heat and damage (fry!) my PC hardware. Thanks.