[mythtv-users] DVD playback option not showing in menu

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Jan 25 16:41:44 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 21:48:05 kim Gross wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > On Jan 24, 2008 8:13 PM, Husam Senussi <husamsenussi at gmail.com
> > <mailto:husamsenussi at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I'm not getting option to playback DVD although I enabled all plugin,
> >     so is there
> >     any other settings I need to change
> >

> > Where are you looking?  It is under Videos
> >
> I thought it was under optical disks.

The location can vary from one distribution to another, and probably from one
MythTV version to another. On my main MythDVD frontend/backend, which runs
Ubuntu and the MythTV 0.20.2 packages that come with it, DVD playback is
available under Utilities/Setup -> DVD. On my Gentoo Linux desktop system, on
which I've also got MythTV installed, it's under Optical Disks. I've heard
that the code is being integrated with MythVideo, but I don't know if this
will (or has already for some versions) change the location.

Husam Senussi <husamsenussi at gmail.com <mailto:husamsenussi at gmail.com>> wrote:

> I can mount /dev/dvd and I compiled all plugins ... but I will have
> look.

There's no need to mount /dev/dvd to play back a DVD, and mounting it will not
make menu options appear. It will interfere with your ability to eject the
DVD, though -- you'll need to unmount it first.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com