[mythtv-users] Starting up pcHDTV HD-5500 audio problems

Bruce Lytle brucelytle at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 06:47:44 UTC 2008

Ok, I'm just starting up with V4L and don't quite grok everything.....
Current setup is: Dual 2.8 Xeon processors, 4 gigs of ram, 500 Gig Sata
drive, USB 5.1 USB sound "dongle"(for no better description that has so
far worked very well), and a brand spanky new pcHDTV HD-5500 card,
tuning digital cable (comcast, if it matters). Oh yeah, 2.6.21.5 kernel...

So, I was blown away after putting the card in and booting, and THERE IT
IS! no recompile or anything. YAHOO!

I went through the mythtv-setup (to change from a previously configured
card (SkyStar 2)  that would tune in OTA stuff fine, and give good
sound...) Set the new card up and started watching one of a gazillion
channels available.

But the sound sucks! It has, what I can only describe as "ringing". The
only thing I see wrong, is that when myth starts, it is using the OSS
mode. I can see in dmesg that the card is using the ALSA drivers. How do
I get myth to stop using OSS and use ALSA?

Does anyone else know how to deal with the "ringing" in the audio?

Regards,
Bruce