[mythtv-users] Are there any Capture Card / Digi Box combinations where the card can control the Digibox?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 24 10:38:31 UTC 2008

Topi Hukkanen wrote:
> Sorry for being obtuse... but just to make sure we are on the same
> page:  I am talking about a card such as this:
> http://www.twinhan.com/product_terrestrial_3030.asp
> <http://www.twinhan.com/product_terrestrial_3030.asp>
>
> So there's a slot for a card that you can plug in to watch pay
> channels.  I don't think the descrambling aspect has anything to do with
> Linux, but the card itself.  So is there one of these kinds of cards
> supported under ubuntu/mythtv?
>
> I don't really see why the card manufacturers would have anything to do
> with the broadcasting companies...  in the spirit of capitalism, you
> would think the card manufacturers would be ready and willing to enable
> linux based support.

I don't know if such a card would work under Linux, note the specs state
only Windows (though that's not always definitive)

The card makers are likely concerned about being sued if their product
is used, or even might be used, to "steal" the programming you have paid
for. The media companies want you to be able to watch their programming
under circumstances that they control, but they definitely do not want
you to be able to get a clean MPEG file that you can do whatever you
want with. Making a backup copy of paid-for  programming is considered
"stealing" by some outfits.

That's what a lot of the foofooraw is about, Windows has enough DRM to
make the media companies happy, Linux does not.

beww