[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 24 02:39:18 UTC 2008

On 01/23/2008 02:17 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 12:43 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 01/23/2008 01:15 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, i do a have a 8gb disk i removed from my Xbox when i modded it.
>>> Will that be sufficient for system, logs, and db?.  its only a 5400rpm.
>>>
>>> I also forgot to mention.  When all this is going on and i move the
>>> mouse the system is so slow that the mouse jumps across the screen.
>>>
>>> And when closing mythfrontend on the 1080p display the screen builds
>>> so slow that it takes seconds to move from howing the desktop and the
>>> mythbackround to load.  (Does this make sense i may need to take a
>>> picture of what i mean)
>>>
>> I/O wait + swap = ^^^^
>>
>> The 8GB disk should be enough, but make sure you keep your logs clean
>> (and don't do bin logging in MySQL).  Might need more memory, too.  (I
>> recommend at least 512MB--possibly more, depending on your choice of
>> theme--whose effects are magnified by screen resolution.)
> Well i can say for sure that when i load mythfrontend using blootube wide it
> takes a good 250mb of RAM.

Yeah.  blootube-wide is one of the more memory hungry themes.  You can't
get that kind of beauty for free.  ;)

> I have a Gig of ram but a 128mb is allocated to my video card.  so i have
> about 870mb for system memory.

A gig of RAM should be more than enough.  The video card's using shared
memory is probably more of an issue than available RAM--primarily
because you're doing HDTV.  Have access to an NVIDIA 5200+ and an
appropriate slot?

> I will rebuild my box on my 8gig drive and see if that helps.  if that
> doesn't fix it should i go more memory (1 or 2 gig) or video card?

That's definitely the best place to start.

Mike