[mythtv-users] ATTN: Users of XMLTV tv_grab_uk_rt grabber v0.5.50 with recent missing listings/errors

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 18:21:38 UTC 2008

Paul Mason wrote:
<snip>

> Is this the way it's supposed to work? I'm sure I wasn't supposed to quit
> out of the xmltv set up bit but still I can't see where it marries up the
> grabber information with the tuning information (it hasn't got any has it?)
> so that I don't get two sets of channels.

This is the way it works, yes. "supposed to", probably not. Welcome to the club.

The way to avoid getting the duplicates is to do almost what you did. When you
select a source grabber, Mythtv-setup goes away and you are supposed to swap
windows to the command line you ran it from. Do that and it will say (not
verbatim) either "Add all channels, none, or individual?" or "Existing lineup
found, no current way to re-use, delete or abandon?" or some such. In the first
case, answer "none", in the second, you abandon, ie stop it overwriting your
existing setup.

Then later, you can re-scan the channels. You almost *have* to do that these
days, since the providers keep moving channels around on the multiplexes. Then
you get to the tedious job of trying to match up the channels with the xmltvids
and getting rid of the rubbish. Then edit your <source>.xmltv file so that it is
an *exact* list matching your selected channels.

Once you have done that you are good to run mythfilldatabase. Don't use any
--first-time switches or anything like that. You should end up with a reasonable
lineup. If you then go into Mythweb, you can spot any anomolies, since the
xmltvids you got wrong won't match up, but extra channels will have been created
with non-numeric channel numbers, so will sort at the top. Rinse and repeat.

Nick has a script coming which I hope will do away with all this tomfoolery.

Mike Perkins