[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Jan 23 05:02:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 20:35 -0800, Jeff Coffler wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Ian Forde wrote:
> >> 2) Firewire support.  I capture content via an HDHomeRun and via a
> >> cable box (firewire).  RHEL5 doesn't support firewire either.
> >
> > You don't need the Plus kernel for this.  Installing ieee1394 and
> > ieee1394-kmdl from atrpms got my system working perfectly.
> That's not true.  I installed the ieee packages from the CentOS
> install media (interesting enough, RHEL5 includes the packages, but
> not the Kernel support - go figure).

Which part isn't true - that one doesn't need the Plus kernel or that my
system isn't working perfectly?  Trust me - I'm not running the Plus
kernel, and firewire *IS* working perfectly.  I don't have a RHEL5 iso
sitting in front of me, but I can assure you that CentOS 5.1 doesn't
ship with an rpm called ieee1394.

It ships with libieee1284 (which is for printers), libavc1394, and
libraw1394.  ieee1394...

... is a package from atrpms that contains no files, and you can install

so that you can continue to use the stock kernel.

> At this point, plugreport gave me an internal error.  After moving to
> the plus kernel, plugreport works fine, as does Firewire capture.

here's my kernel output:

> [root at tatooine mythplugins]# uname -a
> Linux tatooine.iforde.net 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 #1 SMP Sat Dec 15 16:47:21 PST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here's my plugreport output:

> [root at tatooine mythplugins]# plugreport
> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
> Node 0 GUID 0x00508d00009b0d0b
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
> Node 1 GUID 0x001180fffef1c8ba
> ------------------------------
> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=0
> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=1
>         channel=63, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
> iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

So as you can see, I stand by what I wrote.

> I actually built MythTV myself - I didn't need to install anything
> from atrpms.  Everything I need is on the CentOS media itself, except
> the plus kernel.

I too, built mythtv myself:

[root at tatooine mythplugins]# mythfrontend --version
Source code version     : 15169
SVN Branch              : trunk
Library API version     : 0.21.20071211-1
Network Protocol Version: 36
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl using_opengl
using_libavc_5_3 using_live

The myth dependencies I downloaded from atrpms, such as ivtv, faac, and
many other packages.  As I've been doing since 2003 when I started
running myth...

> I have a mild preference of getting everything from a single vendor
> for the system stuff (except MythTV itself).  It makes things clearer
> of where to look if something isn't working quite right ...

Agreed.  But the fact of the matter remains that you don't need the Plus
kernel to use firewire...