[mythtv-users] help control mythtv via telnet

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Jan 23 00:06:12 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Paul Bender
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:47 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] help control mythtv via telnet

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Hello all, i have this idea to control my mythtv frontend over telnet.
> I want to have different bash files that can be run that execute a
> telnet command...i just don't know how to do it. I tried this:
> #!/bin/bash
> telnet mythtv-frontend 6546
> jump mythgallery
> exit
> exit 0
> The idea with that above script is that it just changes my mythfrontend
> to open the gallery then exit telnet and then exit the script...it
> didn't work. Anyone use scripts of any sort to do only a particular
> function? I want to run these scripts and have them just work, and just
> do one thing, like live tv, volume up, mute, gallery, channel 34, etc
> etc etc.
> -Thanks

I do some minimal control in one of my MiniMyth scripts using the telnet
interface. Here is the snippet.

nc localhost 6546 > /dev/null 2>&1 << EOF
jump mainmenu
EOF

For your example, I think something like the following would work

#!/bin/bash
nc mythtv-frontend 6546 > /dev/null 2>&1 << EOF
jump mythgallery
exit
EOF
exit 0