[mythtv-users] External firewire enclosure for DVD drive.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 22 22:31:27 UTC 2008

> On Jan 22, 2008 2:13 PM, Abre Chase <abre.chase at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some cheaper options here:
>>
>> http://www.shop4tech.com/z/5.25_inch_Enclosures/25_370/
>>
>> I've bought hard drive enclosures from these guys before and had a
>> good experience.
>>
>> - abre
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2008 11:50 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm looking at the following enclosure and wanted to get everyone's
>> option.
>> >
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145152
>> >
>> > I'm connecting it to a Fedora 8 system (x86_64) and not a Mac but it
>> > shouldn't matter, right?
>> >
>> > The reason is so I don't have to open the lower cabinet doors on my
>> > entertainment center to change out DVD's. I'm currently using a full
>> tower
>> > case since it's what I had available. I have two small children and
>> the 2yo
>> > especially likes to press buttons when I have the door open. With an
>> > external enclosure I can put it up in the media cabinet out of their
>> reach.
>> >
>> > Are there any gotcha's I need to watch out for? The enclosure doesn't
>> list a
>> > max burning speed but I'm not planning on using the burner feature of
>> the
>> > drive anyway.
>> >
>> > Richard

> I'll ask the obvious question, but why firewire?  USB2.0 is jsut about
> as fast and dang near more reliable.

Have you used both? I can't imagine anyone that has used both even
asking about this.

Firewire is a much better performer. Since it has a very good "baseline"
version, it is much less problematic to get a firewire drive working in
a mode that will offer good performance. USB can be a royal pain in this
regard. A firewire drive will also generate a dramatically lower number
of hardware interrupts and be less of a drain on the system it's attached
to.

The bane of my last job was data transport using a USB drive.

Splurge and get a dual interface chassis.

> I got some for about $15 each after shipping a few weeks ago and they
> work just fine on my Windows and Ubuntu PCs (I put DVD burners in
> them).

[deletia]