[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com
Tue Jan 22 21:43:16 UTC 2008

> On Jan 20, 2008 12:05 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> As someone pointed out you can use the xfs kernel module from CentOS
> Extras. What I found out (unfortunately) was that you _do_ have to go
> to CentOS Plus if you want jfs support. As I already have 300GB of
> recordings on a jfs partition I was forced to go this path. Then when
> I tried to install the kernel from CentOS Plus I got an error saying
> that there was already a newer version of the kernel installed (from
> the default installation) so I gave up. It's a big shame that jfs is
> only in CentOS Plus as I'm now going to have to somehow convert the
> jfs partition to ext3 or xfs without losing 300GB of recordings -
> bummer!

This is really a Redhat issue.

Redhat (and thus RHEL5) doesn't support JFS.  CentOS, by default, is
100% binary compatible, so there's nothing the CentOS folks could have
done.

I do use the CentOS Plus Kernel for two reasons:

1) JFS support.  I've used it for years, never ever had any problem at
all, and never regretted it.
2) Firewire support.  I capture content via an HDHomeRun and via a
cable box (firewire).  RHEL5 doesn't support firewire either.

Running the Plus kernel is really no big deal to me.  Just choose to
do it, and that's that.  Everything works (including JFS and firewire).

	-- Jeff