[mythtv-users] Digital Audio and MythMusic...

Noah Markon nmarkon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:11:40 UTC 2008

> Heh.  The ALSA configuration file at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound was
> developed on and for a system that is nothing like Fedora Core (nor like
> Ubuntu).  It should work, though, on any system that uses ALSA.
> It's the sound card you're using (not the distro) that makes things
> different.  Once you learn your sound card hardware intimately and learn
> ALSA configuration far better than you care to learn, it's really rather
> easy.  If you're not interested in doing that, I recommend the ALSA
> config file from the wiki as a starting point--then you only need to
> learn the sound card hardware (and the alsamixer view of that hardware).  :)

Thanks I think I understand it a bit more, at least I hope I do. I
think my problem comes when I try and find the name of my device via
the aplay -L it looks completely different then everyone elses:

surround40:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
surround41:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
surround50:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
surround51:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
surround71:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
iec958:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
    Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Which  I guess is ok, because I should be able to specific the name
when I try and play something. however when I do that using aplay (or
mplayer), I get an error, which sort of stops me dead in my tracks.

aplay -D iec958  english.au
Playing Sparc Audio 'english.au' : Mu-Law, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:900: Sample format non available

I get that error no matter what I pass in for D. So now I'm back where
I started.