[mythtv-users] Impact of external firewire drive

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Jan 22 00:00:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 05:09:36PM +0000, Peter Dash wrote:
> > I just spent the weekend setting up MythTV on an old Mac Mini G4
> > (Debian testing, mythtv-0.20.2, Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD stick,
> > combination backend and frontend) and am very happy with the results.
>
> I have almost exactly the same setup (except that my mini is a
> core2duo 1.83) and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the disk
> io. All my recordings are on the external disk, everything else is on
> the internal hd using Arch Linux.

There is a difference in capability and charactersitics between a 1.2GHz
PowerPC G4 and the 1.8GHz dual core Intel chip ;)  I won't be trying to
do too many things at once on it and I certainly won't be using it as
anything other than a MythTV box.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.