[mythtv-users] Quick question about DB latest checkout

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 21 19:16:07 UTC 2008

On 01/21/2008 02:06 PM, Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 7:59 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/21/2008 01:42 PM, Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
>>
>>> I checked out the latest version (yesterday) of mythtv and plugins.
>>> Everything compiles and installs just fine, but when I start
>>> mythbackend, it is not able to upgrade the database due to an syntax
>>> error: (I'm using latest stable now)

>>> Column length too big for column 'filepath' (max = 255); use BLOB or
>>> TEXT instead
>>> ---
>>>
>>> This means the latest mythtv version *requieres* mysql 5 or? I'm using
>>> 4.1 and need to stay at that level.
>>>
>> Someone hasn't been keeping up with the -dev list...
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/304388#304388
> Clear. Subscribed just a few minutes ago so obviously missed that.

Good.  Now that that's clear, I'll say that the query is in
libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp .  However, if you do change it, please do
not report any bugs or issues you may encounter (and if you do, because
you're certain that your changes aren't interfering, make sure you
explicitly say that you are running an unsupported configuration and
list the unsupported changes you made so the devs have the option of
closing the ticket without wasting time on it).

The right thing to do is--if you really need MySQL 4.1 for something
else--run another instance of MySQL, perhaps on another server--or,
better, move your MySQL-4.1, non-Myth database to another non-Myth system.

Mike