[mythtv-users] Which NVidia card

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Jan 21 12:20:06 UTC 2008

   After a Loooong break I'm trying to breathe new life into my MythTV box.

Why didn't I listen to you all before when you warned bout ATI cards? I'd
have saved myself a lot of grief! Anyway:

Now I'm going to get a card that does proper XvMc (Nvidia the only choice

The box will only be used for MythTV, so great 3d performance is not an

Card should be PCIe, available (7000 series or 6200TC), passive, and not
generate too much heat. I'va lso read mixed reports on whether the 7000
series DOES support full XvMc, so questions are:

1. Is it correct that the 7000 series does XvMc without problems?
2. I can still get hold of a 6200TC, but this has only 64 MB Ram. Is this
3. Will the 7300 GS produce much more heat than a 6200TC? Could I
underclock to compensate?

4. Other recommendations????

 Thanks very much for help!