[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Michael Segulja msegulja at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:53:08 UTC 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 8:07 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> * On Sun Jan 20, 2008 at 06:21:25PM -0600, Michael Segulja wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>
>>> This is why your internet provider is selling a service.  You're
>>> paying for a service, not a quantity of something.  If grandma only
>
>> I'm by far no expert in this area but just wanted to throw in my 2
>> cents on this comment.  If you think you're paying your internet
>> provider for a 'service', not a quantity of something, try
>> downloading
>> excessive amounts of data per day and you'll find out that 'unlimited
>
> That's why they have a "TOS" (aka Terms Of Service).  If you're
> abusing
> their service, they have the right to cut you off.  Just because it is
> a service, doesn't mean it is unlimited.  It's not unlimited
> bandwidth,
> why should it come with unlimited data transfer?

So the ISP advertising to me unlimited internet usage for X dollars
per month is abusing their service if I actually make use of the
unlimited usage?  And that's the point... if they aren't actually
offering unlimited usage, then why don't they have a plan that goes
along with that?  I haven't read the TOS completely (who does?) but to
my knowledge, the Comcast TOS that applies to my account doesn't state
a usage limit.  How can I abuse their service if they won't tell me
what triggers abuse???  It does obviously state a bandwidth limit and
range that I will get, but how can I exceed my limit if they're the
ones limiting my bandwidth?  Who cares how many GB per month I
download.  I can't exceed the maximum bandwidth but I sure should be
able to download as much as I want if they can't give me a definite
limit and give me the option to pay more if I want more, or less if I
won't use that much.

>> Anyway, just wanted to pipe in.  I've heard many, many stories on
>> various podcasts I listen to of people having their 'service' they
>> pay
>> for interrupted because they surpassed some unknown limit that
>> Comcast
>> and/or Time-Warner keep secret even though they advertise unlimited
>> access.
>
> People speak with their dollars (or by complaining at city council
> meetings).  :)

And wouldn't it be great if we here in the US really could speak with
our dollars.  My only choice, and I live in Houston, the 4th largest
city in the nation, is Comcast for cable modem service, or for DLS,
Verizon and AT&T.  The only way I could speak with my dollars is to
not have internet access at all!  We definitely need more competition
and choice.