[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 21 00:50:11 UTC 2008

Michael Segulja wrote:

> I'm by far no expert in this area but just wanted to throw in my 2
> cents on this comment.  If you think you're paying your internet
> provider for a 'service', not a quantity of something, try downloading
> excessive amounts of data per day and you'll find out that 'unlimited
> access' doesn't really mean unlimited, especially when Time-Warner/
> Comcast is concerned.

This is often true with residential accounts, the provider makes
assumptions about how much usage an "average" consumer might have, and
then they get all bent out of shape because their own predictions were
wrong.

I have noticed that adverts in UK magazines for broadband service often
list the "contention" factor, a figure totally missing from USA ads, and
generally impossible to discover even if you ask.

I have a business account, which costs just slightly more than a
residential one. I got it mainly so my ISP would not block port 25, so I
could run a mail server, and so I would not be violating the terms of
service by running a server of any sort. It also gives me static IP
addresses, as well as something more than the usual 6 bytes per
fortnight upstream speed given to most residential accounts.

With that business account my ISP has told me, in writing, that it is OK
with them if I use my full rated bandwidth 24/7. As they said, "That's
what you are paying for".

Nice feeling to actually get what you pay for once in a while. :-)

Unfortunately my ISP (Bresnan Communications) has a very limited service
area.

beww