[mythtv-users] Storage space question

Dan Wilson dwilson at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 20 20:26:11 UTC 2008

On 1/20/2008 at 11:37 AM John Drescher wrote:

> > And tell Myth to use each one for recordings and Myth will take care of
> > the rest.  No LVM taking itself down when one drives goes and no losing
> disk
> > to RAID redundancy.
> >

> This is the best and simplest option. I have been using this for a very
> long
> time (I believe more than 1 year) and it has never failed me.
>
> John

I switched from just using a bunch of drives to a RAID 5 array in November.  In December, just after I left for 2 weeks out-of-town over Christmas, one of the drives in my RAID array crashed.  The array itself stayed up, with no loss of data, until I got back to town two weeks later and was able to replace the drive.  8 hours later, the new drive was completely synched and the array was again protected from a drive failure.  I am sold on RAID 5, and consider the loss of use of one drive in the array to be a worthwhile trade-off.

Dan.