[mythtv-users] A clustered PVR just rocks...

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Jan 20 05:20:14 UTC 2008

* On Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 02:35:49PM -0600, jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 02:11:15PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > known-working config.  Running a tunerless backend is an unsupported
> > config and not guaranteed to work now or in the future.
>
>     That seems silly. The whole cablecard mess might make the TV
> part of MythTV less and less interesting until there isn't any
> point for some of us anymore. Whereas there are still other things
> a master backend would be good for even without any sort of tuner.

Silly?  It seems silly for me to spend _my_ time working on features
that _you_ want, rather than spending _my_ time on features that _I_
want.  If you want (or someone else wants) tunerless backends to be
supported, then you/they are welcome to submit patches.  None of the
core devs seem to be too interested in this or else it would have
been supported a long time ago.  With the work being done on UPNP
in the backend, I can see more uses to run a backend for non-TV use,
but running a tunerless backend is still an unsupported config
until someone steps up to provide the patches necessary to fix
certain issues like this one.

>     A tunerless master backend also makes a good initial test
> configuration for those of us taking things slowly initially.

If you want to test, then use a dummy tuner.  For more info on setting
up one of these fake tuners, search the mailing list archives.  I
added this ability a few years ago and use it regularly on my dev box.
I used it to test Storage Groups before that code went into SVN and
I know it has also been used in the past to test the scheduler since
it allows you to simulate more tuners than are physically available.
Even with the new multi-rec stuff, this is still desirable for testing
because multi-rec will never work for some capture devices.

--
Chris