[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:05:02 UTC 2008

> I've just recently in the last couple weeks set up both a BE and FE
> systems using CentOS 5.1. I had to immediately go up to the CentOSPlus
> kernel for the XFS module as that was the filesystem my old recordings
> were on and what I still wanted to continue to use.  If I didn't need
> that then I wouldn't have any pressing reason aside from being most up
> to date as the only the modules I needed were nvidia and IVTV both of
> which is available for the stock kernel from atrpms.

As someone pointed out you can use the xfs kernel module from CentOS
Extras. What I found out (unfortunately) was that you _do_ have to go
to CentOS Plus if you want jfs support. As I already have 300GB of
recordings on a jfs partition I was forced to go this path. Then when
I tried to install the kernel from CentOS Plus I got an error saying
that there was already a newer version of the kernel installed (from
the default installation) so I gave up. It's a big shame that jfs is
only in CentOS Plus as I'm now going to have to somehow convert the
jfs partition to ext3 or xfs without losing 300GB of recordings -
bummer!