[mythtv-users] * Please help -- can't schedule recordings (but can record with R, can view guide)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jan 19 01:57:21 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>> In fact I got round that myself during testing by making an entry in
>> the
>> /etc/sudoers file. I can now run 'sudo service mythbackend
>> [stop|start|whatever]' from my own account as needed (hopefully
>> never).
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>
> You chose to set it up that way. It's not required to run as a service.
> Just running mythbackend from the command line as whatever user you
> like works just fine with the correct permissions.
> I used to run the backend as mythtv but switch to root to make my life
> easier permission-wise. If my system was open to the internet, I would
> definitely run as a mythtv user instead of root.

The crux of the problem is restarting...if the power goes off, I would
like the system to come back up and (re-)start recording. Easiest way to
do that is to make it a service, or run a root cron.
Starting both BE and FE after autologin is not something I have been
able to get working...but I will admit to not having tried too much.

Geoff