[mythtv-users] A clustered PVR just rocks...

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:44:44 UTC 2008

On 18/01/2008, Chris Hayes <chris at lwcdial.net> wrote:

> >     Between my desktop, my frontend, and my backend I've got 5
> > cpus distributed over the home network catching up on the backlog.
> >
> >     That's just too cool...
>

> Ummm, how?
>
> I had to transcode two HD shows last night and it took *forever*.  I
> sat there working on my laptop that was doing nothing at all and
> wondered whether I could use it for any good?
>

> Indeed, I've been trying a Mythdora VMWare frontend onm my laptop.
>
> I'm not sure I have the setup right but from what I've seen so far it's
> just acting as a gui for all the operations on the backend.  It's
> potentially really useful but reality is still for me a confusing battle
> against issue after issue.
>
> But things I know you can do...  due to the issue with 2nd audio tracks
> getting blanked on DVBt recordings I've need to ffmpeg "lossless"
> transcode and I've done this from my laptop.  If you just get the latest exe
> (assuming Windows)  and learn some ffmpeg command line stuff it's very
> easy although not strictly MythTV.

> Chris,

Re: The mythtranscode "lossless" transcode losing audio tracks... I have a
strange workaround....
due to something buggy in the xvmc playback code if you have more than 1
audio track in an MPEG-TS sound stutters when you try to play it back with
xvmc.

So I wrote a hack (search for it on this list) that only records the 1st
audio track in a DVB-T signal that it finds. Strictly I know I should look
for the correct track somehow e.g. it's the only stereo one etc, but in
practice I've not had ANY problems with getting the wrong one.
This then means that mythtranscode --lossless can't discard the wrong audio
as there is only one.

Just in case you find it useful....

Cheers

Steve