[mythtv-users] * Please help -- can't schedule recordings (but can record with R, can view guide)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 18 04:57:04 UTC 2008

dataclue wrote:
> I got a couple of replies to this, thank you for those
> that kindly tried to help -- but it is still unsolved.
> In my earlier problem with MythTV, I got *NO* replies.
> Is there some rules for this list that I'm violating?
> Is this the right list?

The prime reason for the lack of response is that your problem is not
well defined, so it is hard to deduce what *could* be wrong.

Did you follow the Myth documentation for setup?

Do this test, to start: cd to your database (var/lib/mysql in Fedora)
and run du -h. Nake note of the size of the mythconverg databsae. Not a
bad moment, either to do a backup using mysqldump.

When you run mythfilldatabase in a console do you see it report the
correct number of channels being updated as you have in your
SchedulesDirect setup?

Re-run the 'du -h' test. Does it report a change in the size? It may not
change a lot due to deletions, but it should change by some amount. IF
not, then mythfilldatabase is failing to update properly. Been
there...turned out to be a permissions problem on /tmp where
mythfilldatabase stores its temp files.

If all that looks good, then its likely a database problem.
Do you have ONLY ONE my.cnf file (in /etc), and ONLY ONE mysql.txt file
(in ~/.mythtv). Remove any others, or make sure that there is only one
version by using symlinks.

You ARE saving the recording schedule record and not just escaping from
the screen by mistake?

Try going into 'Schedule Programs' -> Program Guide and select some
programs which are about to start. You want to select three programs if
you have 2 tuners, four if you have 3 etc. Select and save. It should
refuse to allow you to save the 'extra' show...If you go back to the
guide, that show will have a marker in the bottom right corner, but will
not  be coloured in. If you then go to 'Upcoming Recordings' it will
show 'Conflict' and the date at the top right, and should show the 3 (or
whatever) programs you have attempted to schedule.

I can't help any more than that. Either its the nut holding the keyboard
which has failed, or something is seriously wrong with your setup and a
re-install and very careful stepthrough of (for example( Jarod Wilson's
guide is indicated.

Geoff