[mythtv-users] Disk Space UI

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 17 02:16:09 UTC 2008

On 01/15/2008 09:38 PM, Bryan Murphy wrote:
> My fiancée doesn't seem to understand the concept of hard drive space.
>  More specifically, she doesn't seem to understand the concept that
> you can't record 20 episodes of Oprah in HD and magically expect
> everything to just keep on working.  Now, of course, I setup limits
> (only record the last three days, deleted older episodes, etc.) but
> this is a constant point of contention. She is always finding new
> stuff to record with no concern for the limitations inherent in the
> system.  Even worse, she never deletes anything so I have no idea what
> she's watched.
>
> Now, I already have 500gb in this machine, and I am not going to spend
> any more money on it.

As others said, autoexpire is the "approved" solution.  However, if you
want to record more than you can fit on the disk and don't want to
autoexpire/delete stuff, you (specifically) have a couple of extra options:

1)  You said, "I am not going to spend any more money on it," so perhaps
your fiancée--who's filling up the disk--should be buying more HDD's.  :)

2)  Since you have a fiancée, convince her you should set up your
wedding registry at http://www.newegg.com/ instead of one of those fancy
department stores (that don't have any good hard drives).  I'd bet many
guests at your wedding will love the convenience of click-through
shopping with reasonable delivery charges and no sales tax.  :)  And,
just tell her that rather than eating dinner on fine China, you can eat
dinner while watching TV on fine China-manufactured Seagate HDD's (
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/jobs_at_seagate/apac/peoples_republic_of_china/
).

Mike