[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Wed Jan 16 23:07:37 UTC 2008

Bill Omer wrote:
>> Antec Fusion 430
>> Asus P5B-MX
>> (1) Hauppauge PVR-500
>> (1) PCHDTV HD-5500
>> (1) Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
>> 4 GB PC2 5300 (too much?)
>> 20X DVD+/-R
>> (2) 750 GB SATA drives
>> Microsoft MCE Remote
> 4 gigs of ram is over kill.  And I would opt out of the pchdtv hd-5500
> and go with an hd homerun.  That way you aren't using up any more pci
> slots and you're getting dual hd tuners.  The pvr-500 comes with an
> mce remote and usb receiver if you get the retail box.
4GB too much, got it.  I'll do 2GB.  So, just to be clear, you mean this

That device looks really shady, but I trust you guys.

> One thing you are forgetting is a video card.  What kind of display
> will this be connecting to?  Either way, an FX5200 is all you need,
> and most come with s-video and dvi.

This motherboard has built-in VGA.  So just to be clear, you recommend a
GeForce FX 5200?  This appears to be an AGP card.  The Asus P5B has no
AGP slots.  Is there a different motherboard I should be considering?