[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:02:43 UTC 2008

> Antec Fusion 430
> Asus P5B-MX
> (1) Hauppauge PVR-500
> (1) PCHDTV HD-5500
> (1) Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
> 4 GB PC2 5300 (too much?)
> 20X DVD+/-R
> (2) 750 GB SATA drives
> Microsoft MCE Remote

4 gigs of ram is over kill.  And I would opt out of the pchdtv hd-5500
and go with an hd homerun.  That way you aren't using up any more pci
slots and you're getting dual hd tuners.  The pvr-500 comes with an
mce remote and usb receiver if you get the retail box.

One thing you are forgetting is a video card.  What kind of display
will this be connecting to?  Either way, an FX5200 is all you need,
and most come with s-video and dvi.

> I think I'm going to make the leap and buy this all this weekend so if
> there's anything you think I should consider?  What about a
> keyboard/mouse?  Is that typically needed or do you guys just SSH into
> your MythTV boxes?

A wireless keyboard and mouse is handy some times.  But be sure you
can ssh in the box from remote to offer support when the time comes.

--
Regards,
Bill Omer