[mythtv-users] Disk Space UI

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:41:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 4:37 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 10:24 PM, Bryan Murphy <bryan.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 15, 2008 9:17 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > She can't click through Information Center -> System Status -> Machine
> > > Status?  That tells you approximately how much free space (in time)
> > > you have left.
> >
> > Spoken by a true Linux geek.  Honestly, no she can't, nor would I expect
> her to.
>
> You can expect her to navigate the menus to set up programming
> schedules, but can't expect her to navigate the menus to see how much
> space is left?  Wow.

Casual users only learn the stuff they need. They can and will learn very
complex and unintuitive procedures if they need to. She needs to be able to
set schedule so she has learned how to do that. But she has no interest or
need to know how to monitor disk space. So, yes, navigating a couple of
levels of menus is too much to ask in this case. Asking her to do anything
at all to monitor the health of the system is probably too much to ask,
frankly. The system has to notify her when it needs attention.

Cheers,
Steve