[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Jan 16 01:23:55 UTC 2008

On 1/14/2008 11:49 AM Brian Wood wrote:

[deletia]
>> You'll also need to keep in mind when dealing with satellite or
>> digital cable services, you'll most likely need to set up IR Blaster
>> type controllers to change the channels for the set top boxes, so
>> you'll need to factor that into your plans.  Putting two IR blasters
>> across from each other controlling different, but identical boxes
>> could lead to some interesting fun times.
>>

> With satellite receivers you can assign different remote codes to each
> receiver to avoid conflicts. I'm not sure about cable STBs, but I
> suspect at least some of them might have similar capabilities.

I have great success controlling my DirecTV receivers via serial
connections and thus eliminating any problems with multiple IR
Blasters.  I do not know if serial control is possible with Dish.  I'm
pretty sure most cable providers don't allow serial control over their STBs.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!