[mythtv-users] PS3 front-end with UPnP

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jan 16 00:02:59 UTC 2008

David Durham, Jr. wrote:

> It works.  I watched a video from a mythtv media server with a PS3

What's the PS3 software version you're running?

> frontend (haven't tried mpeg2 recorded programs) .  It doesn't
> recognize all codecs, vidx, for instance.  I haven't got to do much

Yes. OTOH, if you're using Myth mostly for HD, that shouldn't be a
problem (wait, no, even then some stations use an audio codec that's not
supported, so you need to transcode the audio after recording the show -
I forgot the details).

> with it, but the big issue that I noticed was how long it took to
> discover the mythtv media server.  The "search for media server"
> didn't seem to work, it just took time and it eventually discovered
> the server.

So, how long does it take? Half an hour?

It could be that the DLNA code in MythTV is a bit flaky. I've heard that
the PS3 works fine with other DLNA servers, such as MediaTomb. But
consider this just a rumor at this point.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/