[mythtv-users] Anyone know anything about AVIVO?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 04:30:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 9:28 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> Apparently, ATI is trying desperately to catch up with
> nvidia's PureVideo, and has unveiled something called
> AVIVO.  Unlike PureVideo, though, AVIVO might be
> supported under Linux.  I haven't been able to find
> out much about AVIVO, though.  I can't figure out what
> graphics cards to look for that would work well with
> AVIVO.  Hopefully, I could get something for AGP
> similar in price to a 256K geforce 6200.  Anyway, all
> that would depend on AVIVO getting real Linux support,
> such as by xine or mplayer.

ATi's AVIVO has been out for a goodly while now (Since the x800 range
- launched 3 years ago IIRC), and so far there has been no support for
it added in ATi's drivers.

At the moment, NVidia still has the best graphics drivers (under
Linux) by far. If ATi works hard, they may be able to catch up, but so
far there has been little from the Red team's camp but a vague press
release when they merged with AMD promising better support.
Considering at the time they gave no support whatsoever, they have
lived up to that promise. But they have still fallen far short of
NVidia or Intel's drivers.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston